Friday, May 2, 2014

Mullein: Common Weed, Powerful Healer

MULLEIN (Verbascum)


Mullein Plant Botanical Illustration
Verbascum (Common Mullein) image: Wikipedia

Last week I was led to some some young mullein (also known as Verbascum, in the figwort family Scrophulariaceae). The plants were in a private, secluded un-sprayed spot. I am waiting for them to mature a bit more before I selectively harvest leaves for medicinal use. As always I harvest only what's necessary, keeping the plant intact. I also ask permission of the plant and give thanks afterward for its generosity.


Harvesting Mullein Plants for Medicinal Use
image: Sandra Crowell
So in a few days, on Sunday morning after the dew has lifted, I'll be collecting some of the young mullein leaves for teas and tinctures.

Teas and tinctures of mullein are used to help heal issues with the respiratory, gastrointestinal and urinary tracts. Mullein contains soothing demulcents that impart anti-inflammatory effects when used internally, and have anti-bacterial effects on the skin.

When the brilliant yellow but often-ignored yellow flowers begin blooming later this summer, I will be concocting:
  • a flower-infused oil, famous for earache
  • beeswax-based draw-out poultices for splinters and boils
  • analgesic salves especially for joint pain of the hands and feet (fresh mullein wrapping leaf included)
  • distilled essential oil concentrate of mullein flowers
Mullein flowers can be used for earache oil, analgesic salves, and to draw out skin impurities

All this from a "weed" considered to be noxious and invasive in Colorado.

I am still in the process of setting up my online store in which I'll be selling potions handcrafted from sustainably wildharvested, organically farmed healing plants such as mullein.

#planthealing #workingwithnature #apothecaryrasayana #wildcrafting #herbalism

No comments:

Post a Comment